10 November 2009

Vote for Efren Penaflorida


When Julie came today she was exited and told me about “a friend to a friend” of her son in the Philippines that had been elected to one of ten heroes CNN has been chosen among lots of people around the world.
What this young man is doing is touching my old teacher heart. His outreach work with teaching children who are too poor to go to school is very moving.
"For the past 12 years, Peñaflorida and his team of teen volunteers have taught basic reading and writing to children living on the streets. Their main tool: A pushcart classroom.
Stocked with books, pens, tables and chairs, his Dynamic Teen Company recreates a school setting in unconventional locations such as the cemetery and municipal trash dump.
Peñaflorida knows firsthand the adversity faced by these children. Born into a poor family, he lived in a shanty near the city dump site. But he says he refused to allow his circumstances to define his future.
"Instead of being discouraged, I promised myself that I would pursue education," he recalls. "I will strive hard; I will do my best."
Please read more about this "hero" and vote for him you too! Please tell your friends to vote too, you can vote as many times as you want.
Read more and vote here: www.cnn.com/heros

No comments:

Post a Comment